Merthyr, a parish in Carmarthenshire, on the river Cowin, 4 miles W of Carmarthen. Post town, Carmarthen. Acreage, 3076; population of the civil parish, 287; of the ecclesiastical, 219. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St David's; gross value, £237 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. Madame Bevan, of the Welsh Circulating Schools,was born at Derllys Court in this parish, and was baptized and married in the parish church. There is in the church a perfect copy of the second edition of the Welsh Bible by Bishop Parry, printed in black-letter type in 1620.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Carmarthen||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Merthyr from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Carmarthen Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carmarthenshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Merthyr are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: