UK Genealogy Archives logo

Burry River, Carmarthenshire

Historical Description

Burry River, the estuary of the Lloughor or Llwchwr and Amman rivers, off the east side of Carmarthen Bay, on the mutual border of Carmarthenshire and Glamorgan. Its length downward is 12 miles, and its width, at the mouth, is 4½ miles. The depth over the bar, at low water or spring tides, is 6 feet; and the rise of the tide there in neaps is about 13 feet, and in springs about 30. The chief channel up is not more than ¾ of a mile, but is well buoyed. Pembrey harbour, with light, is on the north side; Llanelly harbour, with docks, is near the head; and Burry Holmes, a small island, with ruins of a cell to LIangennith Priory, is on the south side.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carmarthenshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: