Burry Port, Carmarthenshire
Burry Port, a seaport in the parish of Pembrey, Carmarthenshire, adjacent to Pembrey village, with a station called Pembrey and Burry Port on the G.W.R., 4 miles W of Llanelly. It is situated at the north side of the mouth of the Burry river or inlet. There is an excellent harbour and two floating docks. Anthracite coal and fire-clay are exported. Collieries, copper and white-lead works are in the neighbourhood, and there is a mineral railway belonging to the Burry Port and Gwendraeth Vale Railway Company. Burry Port has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.), a church, erected in 1877 as a chapel of ease to Pembrey parish church, and Congregational, Baptist, Cal-vinistic Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels. There are a customhouse, a coastguard station, and a very fine beach, with a beautiful stretch of sand, affording facilities for bathing.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Llanelly||1903 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carmarthenshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: