Brechfa, a parish in Carmarthenshire, on the river Cothi, 7 miles N of Nantgaredig station on the Central Wales and Carmarthen Junction branch of the L. & N.W.R., 8 NW by W of Llandilo, and 12 NE of Carmarthen. It has a post office under Nantgaredig (R. S.O.), which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 534; population, 85. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St David's; gross value, £74. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|County Court district||Llandilo|
|Poor Law union||Llandilofawr|
|Registration district||Llandilofawr||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The registers of baptisms and burials date from the year 1780, marriages 1806.
Church of England
St. Teilo (parish church)
The church of St. Teilo, built in 1893 at a cost of £1,300, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch, and a turret containing 1 bell. The church affords 120 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Brechfa from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Llandilofawr Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brechfa from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carmarthenshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Brechfa are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: