Traeth Mawr, Carnarvonshire
Traeth Mawr, an estuarial bay at the mouth of the river Glaslyn, in Carnarvonshire, at Port Madoc, and near Tremadoc. It formerly included 7000 acres of marsh, which were reclaimed in 1798-1810, at a cost of £100,000. The embankment, along which the road to Festiniog is carried, is about 1 mile in length, and the breadth is 100 feet at the base and 30 at the top.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carnarvonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Traeth Mawr are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: