Penrhyn, a place in Llandegai parish, Carnarvonshire, on the river Ogwen, in the E and the SE vicinity of Bangor. Penrhyn Castle is the seat of Lord Penrhyn; occupies the site of King Roderic Molwynog's palace, and of the subsequent palace of the Gruffydds of the time of Henry VI.; was erected by Hopper, for Lord Penrhyn; is of Mona marble, an the Norman castellated style, with towers and turrets; includes a tall square tower, five storeys high, copied from Rochester Castle; contains a drinking-horn of Piers Gruffydd, who was at the Armada with Drake; stands on an eminence embowered in trees; presents a very imposing aspect as seen at a distance; and lias very extensive offices and a park of about 6 miles in circuit. Penrhyn Slate Quarries, to the S of the park, and belonging to Lord Penrhyn, are the largest in Wales, and give employment to 2000 or 3000 men. A harbour, called Port Penrhyn, at the month of the river Cegin, close to Bangor, and about 6 miles from the quarries, was formed by Lord Penrhyn for exporting their produce, which is brought down from the quarries for shipment by a narrow gauge railway.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Conway||1894 - 1934|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carnarvonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: