Penmaenmawr, a village, a rising watering-place, and a chapelry in Dwygyfylchi parish, Carnarvonshire, 4 miles WSW of Conway. It has a station on the Chester and Holyhead section of the L. & N.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Penmaenmawr Mountain here stands boldly out into the sea; rises to an altitude of 1553 feet. The path across the mountain presented difficulties and dangers to travellers till the construction of Telford's Holy-head road. The Chester and Holyhead railway winds partly round the base of the mountain and goes partly through a tunnel, and the line is protected from inundation by a strong sea-wall. Penmaenmawr has now a considerable number of modern villas and lodging-houses. The air is dry and bracing, and the bathing is good. It has a public hall, a good modern church, and Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels. Stone is quarried.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carnarvonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Penmaenmawr are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: