Llyn Idwal, Carnarvonshire
Llyn Idwal, a lake in Carnarvonshire, in a deep crater under Glyder Fawr, 5½ miles W of Capel Curig. It has an aspect of wild grandeur, is overhung by bare, dark, mural rocks, was reputedly the scene of the murder of Idwal, one-of the princes of North Wales, and is the subject ef many popular legends. A mural chasm called Twildu (black hole), about 300 feet deep, is on its W side; many marks of ancient ' glaciers are around it, and numerous rare plants are found in its neighbourhood.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carnarvonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Llyn Idwal are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: