Llanfaelrhys, a village and a parish in Carnarvonshire, at the extremity of the Lleyn Peninsula, under Mynydd Rhiw, adjacent to Hell's Mouth Bay, 12 miles SW of Pwll-heli, and 3 ENE of Aberdaron. Post town, Aberdaron, under Pwllheli. The parish, for civil purposes, is united with that of Rhiw. Acreage of the united parish, 3240; population, 490. There are manganese mines. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Aberdaron, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St Maelrhys.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Pwllheli||1837 - 1888|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Llanfaelrhys from 1837 to 1888 you should search for the Pwllheli Registration District.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carnarvonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Llanfaelrhys are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: