Gwydir, a township in Llanrwst parish, Carnarvonshire, on the river Conway, I mile SSW of Llanrwst. The manor belonged to the Berties and the Wynns, and belongs now to the Earl of Ancaster. Gwydir House includes part of a mansion built in 1555 by Sir John Wynn; consists chiefly of an addition made in 1816; contains some fine antique rooms, with antique furniture, and stands amid grounds with picturesque features, and commanding, at some points, very charming views. There is a small chapel, built in 1673.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carnarvonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Gwydir are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: