Capel Curig, Carnarvonshire
Capel-Curig, a hamlet in Llandegai parish, and an ecclesiastical parish formed out of the parishes of Llanrhychwyn, Llanrwst, Llandegai, and Llanllechid, Carnarvonshire. The hamlet lies on the river Llugwy, at the foot of Moel-Siabod and Snowdon, 5½ miles W of Bettws-y-Coed, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) It is a resort for tourists and anglers. Public coaches from Bettws-y-Coed to Bangor, Llanberis, and Beddgelert pass through it. The surrounding scenery is most romantic, and the route hither to the top of Snowdon, though the most toilsome, is one of the best. The ecclesiastical parish includes the hamlet, and is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor; value, £132 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is recent and good. Population, 447.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Llanrwst||1904 - 1935|
|Registration district||Conway||1935 - 1937|
|Registration district||Conway Valley||1937 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carnarvonshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Capel Curig are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: