Bethesda, a small town in Llanllechid parish, Carnarvonshire, 5 miles SE of Bangor, with a station on the Bangor and Bethesda branch of the L. & N.W.B. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bangor. Bethesda owes its existence to the great slate quarries of Lord Penrhyn, which are situated here. The town is governed by a Local Board of Health, and is well supplied with water; it is chiefly inhabited by quarrymen. Area of the urban sanitary district, 899 acres; population, 5799. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor; value, £300. The church was erected and endowed by Lord Penrhyn at a cost of £11,000, and is a handsome edifice. There are Baptist, Congregational, Wesleyan, and Calvinistic Methodist chapels. An hospital was erected in 1843 by Lord Penrhyn. There are two banks.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Bangor||1894 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carnarvonshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: