UK Genealogy Archives logo

Winsford, Cheshire

Historical Description

Winsford, a market-town in Wharton and Over townships, Davenham parish, Cheshire, on the river Weaver, 3 miles WNW of Middlewich, and 6 S of Northwich. It has three stations-Winsford on the L. & N.W.R., Over and Wharton on the branch of the same railway to Hartford, and Winsford and Over on the Cheshire Lines system and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) The Weaver is navigable up to Winsford for vessels of 300 tons. The river is crossed by a one-arched iron bridge, connecting the townships of Wharton and Over; the bridge was erected in 1857, but in consequence of the subsidence of the ground had to be raised in 1871,1876, and 1882. Salt from brine springs is manufactured in over 600 pans, and rock salt is obtained at Meadow Bank. Nearly 500,000 tons of white salt are annually exported. The salt is conveyed in flats to Liverpool. Flat and boat building is carried on. The town-hall was built in 1872, and was raised 8 feet in 1879. The market-hall was erected in 1859, and partly rebuilt in 1876. The Verdin Technical Schools and Gymnasium were opened in 1895. There are public baths, a public library, a police station, and two recreation grounds. Markets are held on Saturday, and fairs on 8 May and 25 Nov. The town is governed by a district council. The township of Wharton comprises 1253 acres; population, 3605. The ecclesiastical parish of Wharton includes also the township of Stanthorne, and was constituted in 1843. Population, 3809. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £230. Patron, the Rector of Davenham. Christ Church was mainly rebuilt in 1849. There are Free and Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels. See also OVER.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Winsford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.

CountyCheshire West and Chester
RegionNorth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtCW7
Post TownWinsford