Weston (Runcorn), Cheshire
Weston or Weston-by-Runcorn, a village and a township in Runcorn parish, Cheshire, at the influx of the river Weaver to the Mersey and the Manchester Ship Canal, 2 miles SSW of Runcorn. The village has a post and money order office under Runcorn; telegraph office, Weston Point. The Church of St John the Evangelist, under the parish of Runcorn, was erected in 1896. There is a Wesleyan chapel, extensive freestone quarries, and chemical works. The township includes Weston Point, and comprises 865 acres of land and 33 of water, with 91 of adjacent tidal water and 95 of foreshore; population, 2329. For parish council purposes it is'divided into two wards-Weston ward, with eight members, and Weaver ward, with five. See WESTON POINT.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Runcorn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Weston (Runcorn) from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Weston (Runcorn) are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.