Walton, two villages and townships, and an ecclesiastical parish carved out of the two ancient parishes of Runcorn and Great Budworth, Cheshire. The village and township of Higher Walton (acreage, 437; population, 225) is 2½ miles SW of Warrington, and has a post and telegraph office under Warrington; money order office, Stockton Heath. The village and township of Lower Walton (acreage, 558; population, 425) is 2 miles S of Warrington. Walton Hall and Walton Lea are the chief residences. The ecclesiastical parish consists of the whole of Higher Walton together with part of Lower Walton and part of the township of Acton Grange. The population was 702 at the time of taking the census, owing to a large number of navvies working at the Manchester Ship Canal, but when these left it was reduced to 450. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; gross value, £300 with residence. The church was built in 1885, and is a handsome edifice of the local red sandstone.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.