Stretton (Great Budworth), Cheshire
Stretton, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Great Budworth parish, Cheshire. The township lies 3½ miles S by E of Warrington, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Warrington. Acreage, 1133; population, 396. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1833. Population, 651. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £280 with residence. The church was built in 1827, and was restored in 1870.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Great Budworth|
|Poor Law union||Runcorn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stretton (Great Budworth) from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Stretton (Great Budworth) are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.