Portwood, an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1844 from the mother parish of St Mary, Stockport, Cheshire, which now contains the whole of the township of Brinnington of 750 acres-134 within the county borough of Stockport (its post town), and 616 without the borough-the former with a population of 6576, and the latter of 485; total, 7061. The latter has a parish council of eight members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £310 with residence. The church, dedicated to St Paul, was erected in 1850, and has a handsome lofty spire, 160 feet high. It contains chancel, organ-chamber, choir and clergy vestries, nave, aisles, W gallery, and S porch.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Stockport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Portwood from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Portwood are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.