Newton or Newton Moor, Cheshire
Newton or Newton Moor, a township and two ecclesiastical parishes in Mottram-in-Longdendale parish, Cheshire. The township stands at the boundary with Lancashire, 2¼ miles SSE of Ashton-under-Lyne, and is bounded on the W by the river Tame. The Peak Forest Canal runs through it. It is witliin the borough of Hyde, and has two stations (Newton and Hyde Junction) on the M.S. & L.R. and a post and money order office, of the name of Newton Moor, under Hyde; telegraph office, Bennett Street. Acreage, 870; population, 7333. The manor belonged to the Davenports, went in 1302 by marriage to Thomas de Newton, and was purchased in the latter part of the 17th century, from the last of the Newtons, by Sir Charles Dukinfield. Newton House, Newton Lodge, the Goodiers, Goodier House, and Bradley House are the chief residences. A house which formerly stood at Harrison Fold was the residence, prior to his removal to the vicinity of Rochdale, of the famous schoolmaster and author John Collier, better known as Tim Bobbin. The ecclesiastical parish of St Mary, Newton-in-Mottram or Newton Moor, was constituted in 1841. Population, 2645. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £298. Patron, the Vicar of Mottram. The church is a modern edifice in the Norman style, and contains a handsome monument to Messrs. James and John Ashton and one to the Rev W. Johnson. The ecclesiastical parish of St Stephen, Newton Moor, formed mainly out of The original part of St Mary, contains the village of Flowery Field, and was constituted in 1891. Population, 3898. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £90. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church was erected in 1889, and is in the Early English style. Newton Green forms part of the ecclesiastical parish of Godley. There are Roman Catholic, Free, Primitive, and New Connexion Methodist chapels.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.