Micklehurst, a village in Mottram parish, Cheshire, near the boundary with Lancashire and Yorkshire, 1 mile E of Mossley, and 3 miles NNE of Staleybridge. It has a station on the L. & N.W.R., and a post office under Manchester; money order and telegraph office, Mossley. It occupies a pleasant situation among the hills, is well built, has large cotton and woollen mills, and forms part of Mossley municipal borough. There are the remains of an ancient fortification, called Bucton Castle, on an acclivity overlooking the village.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Mottram in Longendale|
|Poor Law union||Ashton-under-Lyne|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Micklehurst from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.