Marbury (Great Budworth), Cheshire
Marbury, a township in Great Budworth parish, Cheshire, on the Trent and Mersey Canal, near the river Weaver, 1½ mile N of Northwich, Post town, Northwich. Acreage, 384; population, 56. The manor belonged in the time of Henry III. to the Marburys, passed in 1708 to Earl Rivers, went by marriage to the Earl of Barrymore, passed to the Barrys, and with Marbury Hall belongs now to the Smith-Barry family. The hall is a large brick mansion with stone facings, contains a fine selection of paintings and antique sculptures, and stands in beautiful grounds overlooking Budworth Mere, a lake of 80 acres.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Great Budworth|
|Poor Law union||Northwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marbury (Great Budworth) from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.