Llangattock, a parish in Breconshire and Monmouthshire. The parish lies on the river Usk, opposite Crickhowell, 4 miles NW of Gilwern station on the L. & N.W.R.; is connected by a bridge with Crickhowell, and intersected by the Brecon Canal, and includes part of the ecclesiastical parish of Beaufort. It has a post office under Crickhowell; money order and telegraph office, Crickhowell. Acreage, 9575; population, 5148; of the Breconshire portion, 2394; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1439. Llangattock Park, Glanusk Park, and Dan-y-Park are chief residences. Limestone, ironstone, and coal abound, and the Beaufort ironworks are in the S. A kistvaen was found on Carnohill, and a battle was fought there in 728 between the Britons and King Ethel-bald. A curious cave, called Eglwys Faen or the Stone Church, a large vaulted chamber abounding in stalactites, is in the side of the hill. The living is a rectory, united with the perpetual curacy of Llangenau, in the diocese of St David's; net value, £252 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Beaufort. The church is dedicated to St Catwg, and is Early Decorated. There is a Congregational chapel, and also Crickhowell Workhouse. Bishops Lloyd and Davies were rectors.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Crickhowell||1837 - 1974|
|Registration district||Crickhowell||1894 - 1900|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Breconshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: