UK Genealogy Archives logo

East Hyde, Bedfordshire

Historical Description

Hyde, East, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in the civil parish of Luton, Beds. The village stands on the verge of the county, 3½ miles SE from Luton. There is a station here called Luton Hoo on the G.N.R., and another called Chiltern Green on the M.R. Post town and money order office, Luton; telegraph office, Luton Hoo station. Population, 590. The Hyde is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; gross yearly value, £172. The church, erected in 1840-41, is a square edifice of brick, with portico and two small towers.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyBedfordshire 
Civil parishLuton 
DioceseEly 
HundredFlitt 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register dates from the year 1841.

The Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service (BLARS) hold the registers for East Hyde: Baptisms 1842-1983, Marriages 1859-1981, Burials 1842-1982, Banns 1859-1981


Churches

Church of England

The Holy Trinity (parish church)

The church of the Holy Trinity, erected in 1840-1 by subscription, on a site given by the 2nd Marquess of Bute (d. 1848), is a building of brick, in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, porch and a small western tower: it has stained windows, and sittings for 400 persons.


Civil Registration

Hyde was in Luton Registration District from 1896 to 1964


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for East Hyde from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Bedfordshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of East Hyde are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Bedfordshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

A full transcript of the Visitations of Bedfordshire 1566, 1582, and 1634 is available online.

CountyCentral Bedfordshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtLU2
Post TownLuton