UK Genealogy Archives logo

Beaufort, Breconshire


Historical Description

Beaufort, a small town in Llangattock parish, Brecknockshire, and an ecclesiastical parish in Aberystruth and Bed-welty parishes, Monmouthshire, and Llangattock and Llangy-nidr parishes, Brecknockshire. The town stands near the source of the Ebbw-Fawr river, 2½ miles ENE of Tredegar, and has a station on the L. & N.W.R., and a head post office (R.S.O.) It comprises a straggling street about a mile long, on the main road between Merthyr and Abergav-enny. There are collieries and firebrick works, and fine patches of the Welsli iron ore and limestone quarries. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1843. Population, (i007. The Rving is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Llandaff; net value, £276 with residence. Patron, alter-i-iately the Crown and the Bishop of Llandaff. The church, erected in 1842, consists only of nave and an embattled tower, but there are three new mission churches of very pretty design with chancels and turrets, built 1890-93. There are Congregational, Methodist, Wesleyan, Presbyterian, and Baptist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyBreconshire 
County Court districtTredegar 
Poor Law unionCrickhowel 
Rural DeaneryAbergavenny 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1843.


Church of England

St. David's Mission Church

The mission church of St. David, erected in 1888-91, at a cost of £1,243, consists of chancel, nave, vestry, organ chamber, north porch, and a turret containing one bell: there are 270 sittings. The churchyard was enclosed by a wall at a cost of £107.

St. John (parish church)

The church of St. John, erected in 1842, by Messrs. Crawshay, Bailey and Co. at a cost of £1,560, is a plain oblong edifice of sandstone, consisting of nave, north porch and an embattled western tower containing one bell: there is a memorial window to the late Rev. J. W. Morgan and a pulpit erected in memory of the late Dr. Bevan: there are 250 sittings.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Beaufort from the following:

Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Breconshire is online.


Online maps of Beaufort are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online:

CountyBlaenau Gwent
Postal districtNP23
Post TownEbbw Vale