Wisbech St Mary, Cambridgeshire
Wisbech St Mary, a parish, with Guyhirn chapelry and Murrow hamlet, in Cambridgeshire, with a station on the M.R., 3 miles SW of Wisbech. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Wisbech. Acreage, 10,164 of land and 23 of water; population, 1887. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is an ancient building of brick and stone in the Perpendicular style, and was thoroughly restored in 1894. The perpetual curacy of Guyhirn is a separate benefice. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, an endowed school, and charities. Tholomas Drove and Thorney Toll are both hamlets in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wisbech St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Wisbech|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wisbech St Mary from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wisbech (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wisbech St Mary are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.