Sturbridge or Stourbridge, Cambridgeshire
Sturbridge or Stourbridge, a hamlet in St Andrew-the-Less parish, Cambridgeshire, 1½ mile NNE of Cambridge. It formerly had a fair, which began on the Feast of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary and lasted six weeks, and which was at one period one of the largest fairs in England. It is now a comparatively small affair, lasting one week only.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Cambridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sturbridge or Stourbridge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stourbridge)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.