Reach, a hamlet in Swaffham Prior and Burwell parishes, Cambridgeshire, 5½ miles WNW of Newmarket, and 1 mile N of Swaffham Prior station on the Cambridge and Mildenhall branch of the G.E.R. Post town, Cambridge; money order and telegraph office, Burwell. It was a place of considerable importance before the Norman Conquest; was afterwards a market-town; and now has a school-church, erected in 1860 on the site of a ruined chapel, and a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newmarket|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Reach from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Reach)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Reach are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.