Guyhirne with Bingsend, Cambridgeshire
Guyhirne-with-Bingsend, an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1871 from the civil parishes of Wisbech St Peter and St Mary, Cambridge. Guyhirne is situated on the new None navigable river, about 6 miles SW from Wishech, and has a station on the G.E. and G.N. Joint railways. It has a post and money order office under Wisbech; telegraph office, Mnrrow. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £299 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely. The church was erected in 1878 upon the site of an earlier building from designs by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott, B.A. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels, and at Thomey Toll, which is a hamlet to the west, there is a school church and a Roman Catholic chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Wisbech St Mary|
|Poor Law union||Wisbech|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Guyhirne with Bingsend from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Gyhirn)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.