Gorefield, an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1870 out of the civil parishes of Leverington, Newton, and Parson Drove, in the Isle of Ely, 4 miles NW from Wisbech, which is the nearest railway station. It has a post office under Wisbech; money order and telegraph office, Wisbech. Population, 679. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value,, £401 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church, erected in 1870, is a building of flint and stone in the Early English style. There is a Congregational chapel.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Gorefield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.