Coton, a parish in Cambridgeshire, 3 miles W of Cambridge. It has a post office under Cambridge; money order and telegraph office, Cambridge. Acreage, 970; population, 263. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; gross yearly value, £80. Patron, St Catharine's College, Cambridge. The church is Norman and Early English; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and two porches, with tower and spire; and has the monument of Andrew Downes, the translator of the Apocrypha.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Coton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.