Tylers Green, Buckinghamshire
Tyler's Green, a hamlet and an ecclesiastical parish in Bucks, very pleasantly situated on a high upland, about 2½ miles N from Loudwater station on the G.W.R., and 4 NW from High Wycombe. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1863 out of the civil parishes of Penn and Chipping Wycombe. Population, 834. Rayners is a fine mansion of red brick in the Early Tudor style, erected in 1847, and standing amidst beautiful pleasure grounds and a well-timbered park of about 70 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £250 with residence, in the gift of Earl Howe. The church, erected in 1854, is a building of flint and stone in the Gothic style.
The parish register dates from the year 1855.
Church of England
St. Margaret (parish church)
The church of St. Margaret, erected in 1854, is a building of flint and stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a tower on the north-east; the lower portion of flint and the upper portion of wood, and containing 8 tubular bells: the tower was erected in 1889 by Sir Philip F. Rose bart. of Raynen, and Bateman Lancaster Rose esq. M.A. in memory of their mother, Margaretta (Ranking), wife of Sir Philip Rose bart.; she died 13 March, 1889: the baptistery at the west end was also erected in memory of Lady Rose, by the vicar and parishioners and friends: the east window was erected by Sir Philip Rose bart. of Raynen, as a memorial to his father, William Rose esq. d. 1 July, 1840, and Charlotte (Baly), his mother, d. 31 July, 1869; he also presented the organ as a memorial to his son, and a handsome reredos of Caen stone, marble and mosaic, erected 16th Sept. 1877, as a memorial to his wife: the stained west window is a memorial to Sir Philip Rose bart. who died 17 April. 1883, and there are three others erected to the memory of James Plaistowe, of Loudwater, to Miss Rose and Mrs. Sainte Croix; other memorial windows were placed by B. Lancaster Rose esq. to his mother; a chancel screen and sanctuary lamps were presented by the parishioners; the church was enlarged during the period 1873-90: in 1923 the vestries were built and the church redecorated: there are 250 sittings. In the churchyard is a cross erected in memory of the men connected with the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Tylers Green are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online