St Leonards, Buckinghamshire
Leonards, St, an ancient chapelry, formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1860, in Aston Clinton parish, Bucks, near the boundary with Herts, 3 miles ESE of Wendover, 4 S from the village of Aston Clinton, and 4 SW from Tring station on the main line of the L. & N.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Tring. Population, 147. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £250 with residence. The church is an ancient building of rubble, was once a chantry chapel to Missenden Abbey, was rebuilt after the civil war by General Wood, has been restored and beautified, and contains some old armour and many monuments and tablets.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Aston Clinton|
|Poor Law union||Aylesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1737.
Church of England
St. Leonard (parish church)
The church, formerly a chantry chapel to the Abbey of Missenden, is an edifice of rubble stone, consisting of chancel and nave under one roof, south porch and a western belfry containing one bell: there are two tablets to the Wood family, one of which, with a marble bust, commemorates Gen. Cornelius Wood, a distinguished officer of Queen Anne's reign, who died in 1712: new choir stalls were erected in 1889, and the church was completely restored in 1935: there are 130 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Leonards from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Leonard, St.)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of St Leonards are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online