Lane End, Buckinghamshire
Lane End, a village and an ecclesiastical parish partly in Great Marlow parish and partly in Fingest, Hambleden, and West Wycombe parishes, Bucks. The village stands near the boundary with Oxfordshire, 3 miles SW of West Wycombe station on the G.W.R., and 5 W by S of High Wycombe, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under High Wycombe. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1867. Population, 1288. Chair-making is largely carried on, and there are agricultural implement works and an iron foundry. Wycombe Court is a fine mansion standing in the midst of very beautiful grounds. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Eector of Hambleden. The church, erected in 1878, is a building of flint and brick in the Gothic style of the 13th century, and there are also a Wesleyan chapel and a Gospel Mission hall.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Stoke upon Trent|
|Poor Law union||Wycombe|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1832.
Church of England
The Holy Trinity (parish church)
The church of the Holy Trinity was rebuilt in 1878, in place of the former structure, erected about 1832: the present church is of brick and flint with Bath stone dressings, in the Gothic style of the 13th century and consists of chancel, nave, vestry, organ chamber, north porch and a tower containing 6 bells: the ancient roof of the nave was brought from an ecclesiastical building formerly standing near the bridge at Great Marlow, and is of the 14th century; there are several stained windows, one of which, on the north side, was transferred from the old church; the east window is a memorial to James Luke esq. F.R.S. and was inserted by his children; a west window to William Henry Sandby esq. was placed in 1887, and one to the memory of Mrs. Sworder was placed in 1911; and in 1901 the tower was raised 14 feet, as a memorial to H. W. Cripps esq. Q.C. by his widow: an organ was provided in 1897: in 1909 a carved oak font cover was given in memory of Walter Hobbs, a former churchwarden. There are 300 sittings. The burial ground attached to the church has been considerably enlarged.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lane End from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Lane End are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online