Hazlemere, an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1847 from the parishes of Hughenden, High Wycombe, and Penn, Bucks, about 2 miles NE from Wycombe station on the G.W.R. There is a post office under High Wycombe; money order and telegraph office, High Wycombe. Population, 766. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; gross yearly value, £280. The church is a small modern building of brick in the Romanesque style.
The parish register dates from the year 1846.
Church of England
The Holy Trinity (parish church)
The parish church of Holy Trinity, erected in 1845, is a very small edifice of brick, in the Romanesque style, consisting of an eastern apse, nave and a bell cote over the western entrance containing 3 bells: there is a memorial window to Dr. Barnes, founder of the Royal Botanic Society, and two to Alfred Leadbetter esq.: carving and panelling were added in 1935 and decorate the altar, altar screen, pulpit, lectern and choir stalls: the vestry was added in 1938: the church affords sittings for 150 persons: Sir William Ramsay, the great scientist, is buried here.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hazlemere are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online