Greenlands, a seat on the S border of Bucks, 2 miles NNE from Henley-on-Thames. It belonged formerly to Lady Talbot, and is now the property of the Smith family. A previous seat near it belonged to the D'Oyleys, sustained a siege of six months by the Parliamentary forces in 1644, and was then almost wholly demolished. Traces of the defensive works raised during the siege are still visible.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Greenlands are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online: