Gawcott, an ecclesiastical parish in the borough of Buckingham, Bucks, 2 miles SSW of Buckingham town and railway station. It has a post office under Buckingham; money order and telegraph office, Buckingham. The parish was constituted in 18 62. Population, 47 5. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £110 with residence. Patrons, trustees. The church was rebuilt in 1828. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Buckingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1806.
Church of England
The Holy Trinity (parish church)
The parish church of the Holy Trinity, built by subscription, and opened in 1828, consists of chancel, south porch, with western tower containing one bell: in 1895 the church was restored at a cost of about £800: there are 300 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gawcott from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Gawcott are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online