Dropmore, an ecclesiastical parish in Bucks, which was formed in 1867 out of the civil parishes of Burnham, Dorney. Hitcham, and Taplow, 4 miles N from Taplow station on the G.W.R. Post town, Maidenhead; money order and telegraph office, Burnham. Population, 354. The living-is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £185. The church, erected in 1866, is in the Gothic style. Dropmore is a fine mansion, standing in a beautifully wooded park of some 600 acres, about 2 miles from the village. It was originally built by Lord Grenville, premier of Georgr III., and is now the seat of Lady Louisa Fortescue. Drop-more is celebrated for its magnificent conifers, the collection being probably the finest in England.
The parish register dates from the year 1866.
Church of England
St. Anne (parish church)
The parish church of St. Anne, erected and consecrated in 1866, is an edifice in the Gothic style of the 14th century, consisting of chancel, nave, north transept, south porch and a western turret containing one bell; the transept was erected in 1877, by Lady Louisa Fortescue, as a memorial to the Hon. George Matthew Fortescue, who died Jan 24, 1817; the nave and chancel are divided by a screen, and there is a font of various English and foreign marbles presented in memory of Anne (Pitt), Lady Grenville, who died Jan. 13, 1864; and Louisa Susan Anne, daughter of the founder and former patron of the living, the Hon. G. M. Fortescue and wife of William Westby Moore esq.; she died March 30, 1864: there are three stained windows, and a brass to Anne, Lady Grenville: the church affords 180 sittings.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Dropmore are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online