Beckermet St John, Cumberland
Beckermet, St John, a parish in Cumberland, on the coast and on the Whitehaven, Cleator, and Egremont railway, extending from Beckermet township north-westward to Ehen-side—the river Ehen dividing Lowside Quarter, St Bees, from St John's. Post town, Beckermet under Carnforth. Acreage, 2946; population, 682. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £ 68 with residence. The present church is modern. Old stones found on rebuilding in 1879 gave proof of a very ancient structure on the site.
The registers date from the year 1733.
Church of England
St. John (parish church)
The church of St. John, beautifully situated on a hill, and rebuilt in 1810, was again rebuilt in 1878, at a cost of £2,400, chiefly raised by subscription, and is now an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and a western turret with spire containing one bell: there are 250 sittings.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Villages, Hamlets, &cLowmill
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.