Beckermet St Bridget, Cumberland
Beckermet, St Bridget, a parish in Cumberland, on the coast and on the Whitehaven, Cleator, and Egremont railway, extending from Beckermet township south-eastward to the vicinity of Calder-Bridge. Post town, Beckermet under Carnforth. Acreage, 5063; population, 655. Freestone is quarried. The church is old and lonely, and now used merely for marriages and burials, and a new church at Calder-Bridge is attended by the inhabitants.
The registers date from the year 1675.
Church of England
St. Bridget (parish church)
The church of St. Bridget, situated in a lonely spot about half a mile from the village, is an ancient edifice of stone in the Early English style, with a western turret containing 2 bells, and affords about 100 sittings; this church is now principally used for burials, the ordinary services being held at the church of St. Bridget, Calderbridge, but divine service is occasionally held here during the summer. In the churchyard stand the shafts of two early stone crosses, with carved work and inscriptions.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Beckermet St Bridget are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cBeckermet
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.