Beaumont, a village and a parish in Cumberland, on the river Eden, the Roman Wall, and the Carlisle and Silloth railway, about 1 mile from Burgh station, 5 miles NW of Carlisle. Post town, Burgh-by-Sands (R.S.O.) Acreage, 1551; population, 252. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Kirk-Andrews-upon-Eden, in the diocese of Carlisle; joint net value, £179 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is small and plain.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Beaumont St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Carlisle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish registers date from the year 1692.
Church of England
St. Mary the Virgin (parish church)
The church of St. Mary the Virgin, which occupies the site of a Roman mile-castle in the middle of the village, is an edifice of Norman origin, constructed in part with Roman materials, and consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, vestry on the north side, and a western turret containing one bell. The stained east window is a memorial to Mr. Thomas Hodgson, d. 1871: the piscina, made and erected by Mr. David Brown in 1872, is a copy of a 14th century example, and takes the place of the older one, which was much dilapidated: in the chancel is a window in memory of the Rev. T. Owen Sturkey M.A. rector 1886-98. In 1828 the church had a chest with three locks, but this seems to have disappeared: in the church is preserved a Roman quern, for sometime used as a font. The church was renovated in 1784. and in 1888 was restored at a cost of £800: there are now 130 sittings. In the church are two grave slabs of the 14th century, dug up about 1872; one of these bears a carved book with clasps.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Beaumont from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Beaumont (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Beaumont are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.