Shalbourn, a village and a parish partly in Berks and partly in Wiltshire. The village stands 3 miles from Great Bedwyn station, and 4 from Hungerford station on the G.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Hungerford. Acreage of Shalbourn in Berks, 3672; population, 533. Acreage in Wilts, 1892; population, 201; of the ecclesiastical parish, 598. The civil parish contains also Scewood, the hamlets of Bagshot, Oxenwood, and Newtown. Prosperous Farm was the scene of the agricultural experiments of Jethro Tull. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £240. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church was beautifully restored in 1873. There is a small Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shalbourn St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Hungerford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shalbourn from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Shalbourn (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Shalbourn are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.