Sandleford or Sandleford Priory, Berkshire
Sandleford or Sandleford Priory, formerly an extra-parochial tract, now a parish, in Newbury union, Berks, on the river Enbourn, 1½ mile S from Newbury, which is the nearest railway station. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 520; population, 30. An Augustinian priory was founded here in 1200 by Geoffrey, Earl of Perche, and was annexed in 1480 to the Collegiate church of Windsor. A modern mansion, called Sandleford Priory, was the residence of Mrs Elizabeth Montague, of literary celebrity, and founder of the celebrated "Blue Stocking Club"; includes a dining-room, formed out of the chapel of the ancient priory, and is now the property of Mr Alpin Macgregor, who is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
Sandleford was in Hungerford Registration District from 1837 to 1934
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sandleford or Sandleford Priory are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.