Park Place, Berkshire
Park Place, a seat on the N border of Berks, 1 mile E by S of Henley-on-Thames. It was built originally by Marshall Conway, was altered by Holland for the Earl of Malmes-bury, passed to Shakerley of Somerford, and was rebuilt by the late Mr Noble. The park has an area of about 900 acres, and includes beautiful hanging woods upon a chalk cliff, a fine cedar planted by George III., and a Druidical circle of forty-five stones, 66 feet in circumference, removed hither in 1785 from Jersey.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Park Place are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online: