Oare, a chapelry of Chieveley parish, Berks, 2 miles E of Chieveley village, and 5 N of Newbury station. Post town, Hermitage, under Newbury. For parish council purposes it forms part of Chieveley parish. The church is a small but pretty building of stone in the Perpendicular style, and was completely restored in 1850. There is a Quakers' burying-ground, long disused.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Church of England
The chapel of St. Bartholomew is a plain edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret of stone containing one bell: there is a stained window on the south side, erected to the memory of four little children of the Rev. John Ellill Robinson M.A. vicar of Chieveley 1837-82: the church was thoroughly restored and reseated by the Rev. J. E. Robinson in 1852, and affords 60 sittings. The churchyard has fine spreading yew trees, and memorials to the Butt, Taylor, Wallins and Tuckey families.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Oare from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Oare are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.