UK Genealogy Archives logo

Marlstone, Berkshire

Historical Description

Marlstone, a tithing in Bucklebury parish, Berks, 2 miles W from Bucklebury village. Marlstone House is the seat of the Palmers. There is a chapel of ease, and the tithing ranks as a chapelry, annexed to the vicarage of Bucklebury, in the diocese of Oxford.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyBerkshire 
Civil parishBucklebury 
HundredReading 
Poor Law unionBradfield 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Churches

Church of England

Marlston Chapel

The chapel, built by Sir Geoffrey Martel, a descendant of the Taillefers, Counts of Angouléme, is a building of flint and rubble, originally in the Norman style and consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, vestry with a Norman doorway, and an eastern bell turret containing one bell; it contains some monuments to the Bunbury family, and on the south wall is a sun dial with the motto, "Life as the shade doth fly and fade"; in 1901 a stained east window was erected to the memory of the late George Palmer esq. who died in 1897; the chapel was thoroughly restored in 1855 by the late Henry Mill Bunbury esq. of Marlston House, under the direction of Mr. W. Butterfield, architect; and in 1901 it was renovated and considerably enlarged by the late Rt. Hon. G. W. Palmer P.C., J.P. under the direction of Mr. Slingsby Stallwood F.S.A. architect, of Reading, at a cost of £2,000.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Marlstone from the following:


Land and Property

Marlston House is a mansion of brick in the Elizabethan style, entirely rebuilt during the period 1895-9.

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Marlstone are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.

CountyWest Berkshire