Knowl Hill, Berkshire
Knowl Hill, an ecclesiastical district in Berks, formed out of parts of the civil parishes of Hurley and Wargrave. It is situated 3 miles NE of Twyford station on the G.W.R., and 4½ WSW of Maidenhead, and has a post and money order office under Twyford (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Little-wick Green. The ecclesiastical district was formed in 1842. Population, 712. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £100 with residence. The church, erected in 1840, is an ivy-clad building of red brick consisting of chance], nave, and western tower and spire.
The register dates from the year 1840.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter, built in 1840, is a plain edifice of red brick with stone dressings, almost entirely covered with ivy and consisting of chancel and nave and a western tower with spire, containing 2 bells: the chancel, added in 1871, is in the Early English style: the fine organ was erected in 1875, as a memorial to the Rev. J. E. Austen Leigh, a former vicar: the clock in the tower was given in memory of Major Court; with two exceptions all the windows are stained: there are 400 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Knowl Hill from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Knowl Hill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.