Kennington, a small village and an ecclesiastical parish in the civil parish of Radley, Berks, on the river Thames, at the boundary with Oxfordshire, 2 miles N from Radley station on the G.W.R., and 2½ S by E from Oxford. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Oxford. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 159. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; gross value, £190. Patron, All Souls' College, Oxford. The church was rebuilt in 1828.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Abingdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
A new church burial ground, 1 acre in extent, the gift of Edgar Norton Disney esq. was consecrated by the Bishop of Oxford in 1914.
The register dates from the year 1829.
Church of England
St. Swithin (parish church)
The church of St. Swithin, built and consecrated in 1828, is a small edifice of stone in the Norman style, consisting of nave and a western bell-cot containing one bell and has been renovated: there are 80 sittings.
Kennington was in Abingdon Registration District from 1936 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kennington from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Kennington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.