Kennet and Avon Canal, Berkshire
Kennet and Avon Canal, a canal in Berks, Wiltshire, and Somerset, constructed in 1810, and now owned by the G.W.R. Company. It is 57 miles long, commencing at Midgham, has a junction with the Kennet, and passes through Newbury, Hungerford, Tottenham Park, Pewsey, Devizes, Senington (where it is joined by the Wilts and Berks Canal), past Bradford, to the old town bridge at Bath, where it joins the river Avon. Between Newbury and Crofton there are thirty-one locks, with a total rise of 202 feet. There is a tunnel at Savernake of 502 yards, and thence to Bath there are forty-eight locks, with a fall of 400 feet.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Kennet and Avon Canal are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online: