Hungerford Newtown, Berkshire
Hungerford Newtown, a village on the SW border of Berks, 3 miles NE of Hungerford. A school was built here in 1869.
Church of England
The church of St. Mary the Virgin, at Newtown, in connection with the parish church, is a small and plain building consisting of quasi-apsidal chancel, nave, south porch and a bell turret containing one bell: in the apse are five lancets, the centre one being stained: there are also three stained windows: the building will seat about 100 persons.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hungerford Newtown are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.