Edington, Hidden, and Newtown, a tithing in Hungerford parish, Berks, on the Kennet, adjacent to Hungerford.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hungerford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Church of England
St. Saviour's church, at Eddington, erected on a site given by William Honywood esq. late of Chilton Lodge, at a cost of about £2,000, is an edifice of red and white brick, with stone dressings, in the Early English style, from designs by the late Sir A.. W. Blomfield M.A. (d. 1899), architect, and consists of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch and a western turret, containing one bell: the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. Thomas Hungerford Mitchell, a former vicar of Histon, Cambs; the stained windows in the chancel were also gifts, and there are also two large and twelve small stained windows in the nave: the pulpit, of carved stone, was given by Jesse Hillier esq.: there are sittings for 250 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Eddington from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Eddington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.