Dry Sandford, Berkshire
Dry Sandford, an ecclesiastical parish formed in 8671 in the civil parishes of St Helen, Abingdon, and Marcham, in Berks, 3 miles NW from Abingdon. It has a post office under Abingdon; telegraph office, Abingdon; money order office, Marcham. Population, 249. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £159. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church, erected in 1855, is a building of stone in the Early English style.
The register dates from the year 1855.
Church of England
St. Helen (parish church)
The church of St. Helen, consecrated in 1855, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: in the church is a marble tablet to Mrs. Mutrie, a considerable benefactress to the parish: there are 170 sittings.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Dry Sandford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.